Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Worth Its Weight

We have discovered the joy of listening to audiobooks in the car. Not only are the children being introduced to some great literature, but I get to enjoy the peaceful silence that comes from having siblings entertained by something other than fighting interacting with each other. I find books on CD invaluable for long car trips, but also helpful on our seemingly-endless treks into town.

My kids are ages 13 and 6 so it can be somewhat challenging to find something that they both enjoy, but here are some of their favorites:

A Cricket in Times Square
Any of the Hank the Cowdog adventures (maybe not considered "great" literature, but hey, they are entertaining!)
The Hobbit
Little House on the Prairie series
The Chronicles of Narnia

Right now we are listening to My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George, one of my favorite childhood books. They were hooked from the very first sentence: "I am on my mountain in a tree home that people have passed without ever knowing that I am here."


You can hear a few minutes of this book here: audible.com.

What are some of your favorite family-friendly books on tape/CD?

1 comment:

April said...

We liked Huckelberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. And the absolute best that we've listened to are all the Harry Potter books, the narrator is incredible, my kids are spellbound...I mean bookbound.