Sunday, March 15, 2009

St. Patrick's Day



St. Patrick's day is coming up.

It's been on my mind ever since the Master recently asked, "Who was St. Patrick anyway?"

I thought about green beer and pinching and parades then racked my brain for information about "Patrick". I came up with.... nothing.

"You know, I'm not really sure. Let me do some research and I'll get back with you."

I found a children's book at the Master's school that told the story of a British boy who was taken captive by Irish raiders in the 400s. After a dramatic escape, he returned to his homeland only to receive a calling to minister to the Irish. Once again he traveled to Ireland, this time as a free man, where he lived among the people, teaching and preaching.

I read this book to the Master's class during Library time last week. They were spellbound. It's a fascinating story.

Apparently, St. Patrick's Day was much more of a religious holiday in Ireland than here in the United States. In fact, people spent more time in churches on March 17th than in pubs. This is a far cry from how the holiday is celebrated today, at least in my town. I can't help but wonder what Patrick would think about all of this....

To learn more about St. Patrick and his holiday, check out this informative site from the History Channel.

1 comment:

Katharine said...

Thanks for giving me some lesson info for "school" tomorrow =-)