Thursday, January 07, 2010

Joy Ride


The other morning we were in a bit of hurry to get off to school. We jumped in the van and pulled out of the garage and started speeding down the driveway. I am pretty good at making up time on the road when I need to.

meow!

Huh?

meow! meoooow!

"Do you hear a cat?" I asked a Munchkin.

mEOw!

I could hear Frodo meowing sort of nearby, but I couldn't see him.

"Frodo's not in the back of the van, is he?" Master Munchkin looked around.

"No."

I slowed to a stop, opened the door and stepped half-way out of the van.

"Frodo.... here kitty, kitty...."

There, on TOP of my van, was our wide-eyed orange cat. I have no idea why we didn't see him earlier. I picked him up and craddled him in my arms.

"Poor baby!" His heart was beating pretty quickly. After a good petting, I set him down and pointed him towards home. He had ridden almost a quarter of a mile at a pretty good clip.

That gave us something to laugh about on the rest of our ride to school. :)

8 comments:

CountessLaurie said...

Poor Frodo!! I am suprised he didn't jump off in the garage.

idreamicanfly said...

Andy once lived with a guy who got to the mall only to hear his car meowing. His cat had ridden all the way there - at freeway speeds - under the hood, on top of the engine. Luckily he was only slightly oily, and none the worse for the wear...

I bet Frodo will be dining out on that story for years. :)

A Friend Across the Miles said...

Sounds like your cat may live up to his namesake - adventure, transporting, and the like.

bdaiss said...

Poor kitty! You didn't give him a ride home? (My cats would be lost if I tried that.)

Enid said...

ohh my goodnes...poor baby!!

MrsMama said...

Countess, yes I am too!

Jo, 1 life down, 8 to go.

Camie - I think you're right. I should start a book for him. Help me think of a good title. All I can come up with is "There and Back Again in 60 Seconds or Less".

Bdaiss - we're out in the country and had only gotten as far as our orchard. You could still see the house and he goes that far all the time. Just not on top of our car!

April said...

Oh, poor Frodo! I can't believe he didn't jump. Smart cat.

April said...
This comment has been removed by the author.